Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Blue (and yellow) Ribbon Winner

I won! What has been keeping me busy for the past couple weeks you ask? Well, I have been obsessing over how I was going to create 2 artistic floral arrangements to enter into the Reading Fair this year. I've never done anything like this before for competition but after seeing some other entries at other fairs last year, I decided I was going to do it! I entered the cup and saucer class and the "my country" class which had to be red/white and blue w/ foliage. My cup and saucer arrangement won the blue ribbon for 1st place and my red/white/blue arrangement won the yellow ribbon for 3rd place.
I dropped off the arrangements at 2pm on Sunday- the judging was on Monday morning (yesterday)at 9am. The Fair didn't open until 4pm yesterday so I was dying to know if I had won! Wills and I got there around 5:30 and rushed in to find a blue ribbon laying so proudly next to my cup and saucer arrangement. Then a few steps down we found that my red/white/blue arrangement won too! I am happy for 3rd place with that arrangement as I was uncertain how the judges would like my "artistry" in putting my arrangement in a vintage chip can and not in a traditional vase. Well, I guess they liked it!

After we walked around and viewed the other exhibits, although I must admit that I kept going back to mine, we ventured out into the main part of the Fair. I think this was the first time I had been at the Reading Fair and it was nice- there were strolling musicians, carnival rides, lots of food, games, car races, an Elvis impersonator and even a house filled with rescued pot bellied pigs. Not to mention all of the vegetable exhibits and animals! www.readingfair.us

No comments: